125g butter, chopped
¾ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
⅔ cup milk
1 tablespoon Lemon Myrtle powdered spice (How to dry your own herbs).
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl using an electric mixer, until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping down sides of bowl. Lightly fold flour into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Add lemon myrtle in with cake mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 mins, or until cooked.
- To make the vanilla icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add butter, water and vanilla. Add a little lemon myrtle. Beat well with a wooden spoon until a smooth spreadable consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
Ready to eat your own lemon myrtle cake