(Serves 4, using 4 dariole moulds)
100g Davidson plums, washed, seed removed & cut into wedges
¼ Cup water
2 tsp agar agar powder or 1 gold leaf gelatine (softened)
80g vanilla castor sugar
100ml thickened cream
50g medium sized tapioca pearls
20g castor sugar
2 egg yolks
½ tbsp. chopped desert lime
25g unsalted butter, chopped
3 tsp agar agar powder or 2 gold leaf gelatine
60ml coconut cream
2 large egg yolks
20g castor sugar
60g fresh coconut pulp, chopped
50g shredded coconut, roasted
80ml thickened cream
3 tsp agar agar
- Place plums and sugar in small pan, heat to simmering point, stirring until sugar is dissolved and plums break up. Add agar agar mixture or soaked gelatin to simmered plums and stir to combine. Blitz and pass through a fine mesh sieve, reserving 60ml of the plum juice before pressing remaining mixture through. Let cool. Spoon jelly into dariole moulds for first layer and allow to set.
- Cook tapioca pearls in boiling water according to instructions, until softened (5-10 mins). Rinse with cold water & strain.
- Make a curd by whisking egg yolks and sugar until pale in bowl over simmering water. Slowly add butter, allowing each piece to melt in before adding another. Add cream and heat through.
- Add chopped desert lime and reserved plum liquid before adding the agar agar mixture or softened gelatin until dissolved. Take on and off heat to avoid scrambling. Strain.
- Mix custard with tapioca pearls and let cool slightly. Spoon curd into dariole moulds, and refrigerate.
- On low simmer, heat milk and coconut cream. Separately, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy over simmering water.
- Gradually add milk mixture to egg mixture and whisk over simmering water until thickened. Stir in agar agar or gelatine. Strain, had shredded coconut let cool slightly.
- Whisk the thickened cream to soft peaks and fold through cooled custard. Spoon into darioles to set.
- To turn out creams, dip in hot water and turn out on plate. Can decorate with Davidson Plum Sugar, Davidson Plum Syrup & coconut pulp.
- When using agar it needs to be brought to the boil in water and simmered for 5-mins whisking to activate. Boil 1 tsp agar in 2 tbsp of water.
- Leaf gelatine should be soaked in cold water until rubbery before adding to hot liquid to dissolve.