Bush Tucker Safety
Although our Tucker Bush plants were originally sourced from the bush, foraging for tucker in the wild is quite different to growing edible plants in your own backyard. In a domestic garden, you can control many of the factors that determine whether a plant is safe to eat. For example, you know how safe your water sources are, and can monitor your use of fertilisers and chemicals. Plus, at home, you have easier access to information letting you know what parts of your plant are OK to eat, how to prepare them properly, and how much you can safely consume. All the information we provide on this site is for educational purposes only, and assumes you’re controlling the safety factors in your own garden and kitchen. We recommend doing your own research to ensure the wellbeing of yourself and your family.
- DO try new foods carefully, being mindful of allergies and intolerances before consuming large quantities.
- DO learn to properly prepare bush tucker food before eating.
- DO consult with your doctor or a qualified health professional if you intend to use bush tucker plants for medicinal or nutritional purposes.
- DO use common sense.
- DO take proper precautions.
- DON’T forage for wild bush tucker in areas that may have been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides, or where the water supply may be polluted from urban or industrial run-off.
- DON’T eat wild plants unless you are experienced in identifying and preparing them for safe consumption.
- DON’T harvest or forage for wild bush food in protected or prohibited areas unless you have a license.
Tucker Bush excludes all liability, loss, damage or expense consequential or otherwise caused to the purchaser, other person, pet or the like, directly or indirectly resulting from use, consumption or contact with Tucker Bush products.
Tucker Bush makes no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding food safety related to any food, beverage or product created through the use of Tucker Bush’s products. Tucker Bush is not responsible for any damage or loss, medically or otherwise, resulting from the purchaser’s products or consumption of food and beverage prepared by the purchaser using Tucker Bush products, including without limitation any recipes or guidelines.