Why a Bushfood garden?
Did you know that Australia is home to thousands of native edible plant species? Yet most of the food we grow in our backyards today originally came from overseas. Despite having sustained generations of Aboriginal peoples for thousands of years, our native bush foods still come second to exotic plants.
We started Tucker Bush with a dream of bringing this land’s unique flavours back into the mainstream, so future generations can remain connected to a rich and vibrant history. We want to see a cultural shift towards a sustainable ecosystem, a secure and diverse food supply, and happier, healthier humans.
How students benefit from Tucker Bush gardens
- Developing “nature smarts” from an early age through first-hand experiences.
- Strengthening their understanding and awareness of food and biodiversity.
- Practising teamwork, communication and critical thinking skills in an interesting setting.
- Getting hands-on learning opportunities outside the sedentary classroom environment.
- Learning about plants, soil, water, pests and beneficial insects.
- Eating native herbs and veggies they’ve grown themselves.
- Experiencing local First Nations culture.
Watch our demonstration video to see why we need this program
“I really enjoyed working with a small group to plant the bush tucker plants. I liked following the procedure that was needed to ensure they were planted corrected.”
“My hands got so dirty from planting the bush tucker plants and I really enjoyed it.”
“I liked working as a team and learning about all the different types of bush tucker plants. I thought we all worked really well in creating a beautiful space for the school that links with Aboriginal Culture.”
For More Information Please Register
If you would like to find out more, or to see if your school could participate, then please register below.
Once you register your interest below…
- You’ll be sent an email to confirm your registration.
(If for any reason you don’t receive this email & you’re not already subscribed to the Tucker Bush mailing list, then let us know).
- You’ll also be redirected immediately to a form where we can collect more information about your school, in order to send you the correct information pack.