Makes 1 ltr
½ cup castor sugar
600ml ml water
100ml lime juice
100g picked River mint leaves, chopped
½ tsp vanilla paste
3 egg whites
1 tbsp Xanthum gum (optional)
- Combine the water and sugar and stir over low heat, without boiling, until dissolved. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add mint leaves and lime juice and vanilla, and simmer further 2 mins.
- Let steep and infuse for 1 hour.
- Once cooled, blitz with stick blender adding xanthum gum until it thickens slightly (this just helps with mouth-feel and is not a necessary component).
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold completely into sugar mix.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator.
- Put in ice cream churner until it reaches desired consistency.